Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Making A Difference

When I was a nurse in the OB department one thing happened over and over that caused me a lot of concern. We continually sent beautiful, perfect babies home with parents we knew were dysfunctional. It really bothered me that they had reached their potential in the hospital and that with the luck of whom they were born with, would have a totally different life than the babies sent home with normal, functional families. It was so sad. What would happen to these babies? I wanted to adopt each one of those babies who were sent to dysfunctional homes. I wanted to make a difference but didn't know how. This year I joined CASA which stands for Court Appointed Special Advocates. I am now on the Board of Directors and hope to be an advocate myeself when my term is up. Volunteers are trained to work with one of those children I sent home years ago. Volunteers help ensure that some of them do not slip through the cracks and have an opportunity to reach their potential. These volunteers help the children through the legal system, school system and medical system and become mentors who spend time with them and help them in so many wonderful ways become productive citizens. CASA is a non-profit organization. One of our biggest fundraisers is the CASA KidWalk. Please help make a difference in a child's life. You can donate to my team at http://www.firstgiving.com/pamskidwalk . It doesn't take much to make a difference in someone's life.

8 comments:

Alex and Mitch said...

That is awesome mom. I remeber when you'd talk about seeing the babies leave with crazy parents and how sad it was.

Glad to finally have a good description of what CASA is...you didnt do to well over the summer describing it. ;)

Lindsey said...

That would be so sad to see these adorable, perfect babies go to a dysfunctional home. makes me sick! I donated!!

Pam said...

Thanks Linds!!!!

Kasey said...

Go mom! That has got to be heartbreaking to see that happen as a nurse. Heck, I cry when I see it in the movies!
This sounds like a really neat thing to do. Good for you(and the kids you get to help)!

Pam said...

Dear Kasey and Toni,
Thanks for donating!!! You are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I know you undersand what I see everyday at school. I'm now volunteering to work with six children (one on one) twice a week. Also I work in an after school program with kindergarten through third grade teaching reading skills. I love it! Oh, these children would have benefitted so much from CASA. My donation will be in the mail as soon as I get your address from Kelly. Do all states have CASA? Sorry, this was so long. Cindy E.

Pam said...

Cindy,
Casa is a national organization. Look up Casa.org. It is a great place to donate some time and money and much needed!!

Pam said...

Cindy, it is nationalcasa.org.