Wednesday, November 15, 2006

IT'S KASEY'S BIRTHDAY!!!!!! NOVEMBER 16th!
Kasey with Alexa and Kaden in Kaui 2005 Kelly, Chris and Kasey
Kasey at another Birthday (center) with Kelly and Lindsey

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KASEY!!
My beautiful Kasey was born 28 years ago on November 16, 1978. She was a beauty right from the start. I remember them handing her to me and thinking -" Wow! That is one beautiful little baby. And she's mine!! Sad to say, I wasn't keeping even a lame journal at the time she was born so I don't have any exact thoughts to share. I remember we were living above Lee's parents garage though when I went in labor in the early morning hours. I woke Lee up and we hurried to Eureka, about 20 minutes away. I was in full blown labor by the time they put me in the wheelchair, panting and blowing away. It must have been a full moon because the maternity ward was packed. They put me on a guerney in the hall behind some folding screens and I labored away for about another 45 minutes then off to delivery. Kasey was born in 3 hours from start to finish. Nice.
Kasey was an adorable child, very helpful with the younger children and very smart. At the age of 2 she decided her name was "Butch" and would answer that when asked what her name was. That stuck as a nickname till she got about 10 and hated it.
One thing I remember about Kasey is her hilarious statements to us! One night Lee said to her (she was 5), "I just have one thing to say to you Kasey-you're my girl and I love your!" Her response was, "That's two things." He then kissed her three times and as he left her room she said, "I'm wiping two of those off!" My mom read Kasey a story about being a good loser and then asked Kasey if she was a good loser. Kasey thought about it a minute and replied, "I'm a good winner!" Typical Kasey.
At the age of 11 she complained of headaches and was diagnosed with a brain tumor. It was a benign astrocytoma but we spent 2 scary weeks in Oakland's Children's hospital. Her courage during this time was exceptional and her complete acceptance of having her hair shaved amazed me. She even decided to not wear the wig we bought her and just went around beautifully bald. I have always been so grateful she survived the experience of brain surgery and definitely felt the effects of prayer and Priesthood blessings at that time.
Kasey has been such a wonderful daughter and friend. I just got back from Iowa and always enjoy our times together. She is a great mother, wife, sister, and daughter. I am so proud of who she has become and so grateful to have her as my daughter. Have a wonderful day honey. I love you very, very much!!!

P.S. Sorry the pictures aren't the best - I have better ones somewhere but we are living out of boxes right now!

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Amen mother! She is all of those things. One of my best friends and confidants. I hope you have a good day and get to take a nap, I know how worn out you have been lately. I love you so much and am grateful to have you as a sister.

One of my funniest memories with Kasey is when we shared a room and queen size bed. She would often torture me late at night. She would get on top of me and my arms and poke me in the chest over and over again. It sucked, big time. Then we would fight and I would end up sleeping on the ground. Those were the days!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kasey! -Heather

Jami said...

Happy Brithday Kasey Lee! I love you so much and miss you a ton...

Kasey said...

Thanks for the post mom! It brought tears to my eyes and I have a perma-grin now from reading the funny stories. I'm so glad your labor with me was so quick because I'm sure it was painful without the epidural!
I will deny until my dying day that I ever wanted to be called Butch. What little girl wants that nickname? Why didn't I want Jasmine, Belle, or a million other cute princessy names?
Thanks for the birthday love! It's been a great day and it all started with reading your birthday blog!

Kasey said...

And thank you too, Kelly! I have had a great day and I did get to take a much needed nap! I love you too! I don't know if your memory of me is too funny. I was so mean to you that I'm surprised you want to be my BFF! I'm glad we can look back and laugh on those days now!

Kalie said...

The kids in that pic from Hawaii looks so long ago and I feel like it was yesterday. Happy B-day Kasey!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great day sister! I love you tons...Bday gift is on its way! Very cute post mom. Love the pics actually!

Lani said...

She is also an amazing cousin and friend! Happy Birthday Kasey baby!!

Anonymous said...

Just read this post- I remember gathering around for family prayer when I was a little girl and praying for Kasey and your family. The Lord really answered everyone's prayers in that hard time. You are such a great family! (Happy Birthday Kasey).

Internecipes said...

Sarah, that is the sweetest thing about your family prayer. It is amazing how many people of all denominations told me they prayed for her. And because of it all she is a wonderful mother today!